Saturday, April 19, 2008

Farewell, Friends

Very soon after our arrival in Germany, the Lord put an amazing family in our lives. This family was an answer to our heart's desire for a couple who would challenge us spiritually, love us unconditionally, and enjoy spending time with us. God went even one step further because Kevin and Sheri have a little boy only two weeks younger than Jackson. It couldn't have been more perfect! In September, I started going to a playgroup with Sheri and we also started attending an in-home Bible study at their home. They were an incredible blessing to our family in so many ways.

Today, Kevin, Sheri, Caleb and the newest family member, TJ, are moving. They'll get on a plane in about an hour and say goodbye to Germany. My heart is so sad because I don't want the nearness of their friendship to end. I know that we will remain friends, but countries apart isn't convenient for play dates. Although I wish that we could have them a little longer, I am so thankful to God for the time that He gave us. I can't imagine this season of our life without them.

I would like to share some of the things that I love about this family. They are truly "set apart for the gospel." In so many ways, they live in a way that reflects a life changed by the blood of the cross. They are not in love with worldly pleasures. Even when their life is busy with two boys only 14 months apart, they still make time to pray for friends, call, send an email, or even send a note though the mail. They are genuinely concerned about the lives of others. They are very understanding of the uncertainties of life (that especially come with a toddler in the home) and never make you feel bad for having to change plans. They are generous with money AND time. They challenge us, not harshly or with judgment, but with a spirit that genuinely seeks our growth in the Lord. And very importantly, our boys play so well together! Their personalities are very different but compliment each other perfectly. Maybe it's their age, but we never had trouble with them while they were together.

We've been through a lot with this family. When we first met, our babies were crawling and TJ was only around 20 months gestation. Now, our toddlers are walking, climbing, sliding, trying to run, into everything, feeding themselves, and very independent. We've been through teething together, Sheri's second labor, delivery and postpartum recovery! Man, we're going to miss them!

Here are some photos of our families and of Jackson helping me prepare for our dinner together on Thursday night. We had them over for salad, pizza and strawberry shortcake. The food was good and the fellowship was awesome!

Their last Sunday at church:

Jackson mopping the floor in preparation for dinner with their family:

Jackson helping me make the pizzas:

Kevin, Sheri, Caleb and TJ - We will miss you so much!!

Praise God for the gift of friendship!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have such wonderful friends. Shari has a glow about her that draws you to her, and her boys are very cute. Kevin looks like the kind of man that would be strong and supportive. Even though friends are sometimes far away, they will remain true friends for a lifetime. Tell them I will keep them in my prayers.... Love Mother