We arrived in Utah last night. The drive was beautiful!! I'll share more about our weekend in Colorado Springs in another post, but I have a quick story to share.
I was snuggling up with Jackson for his afternoon nap. We were giving kisses and his face was nestled close to mine. I looked over at him and said, "Jackson, you are so special. I love you so much, and I am so proud of you every day."
His reply, "I'm sorry for screaming, Mama."
Earlier in the day, he threw himself on the floor because I would not let him play with the hotel hair dryer. He was crying and kicking, and any attempt of mine to calm him did not work. I let him unleash his anger for a minute or two and then I tried again. I picked him up, held him like a baby (which usually calms him down right away), and told him that we needed to talk. I explained my reasoning to him and then I told him that I didn't like leaving him on the floor to scream but that sometimes I don't know how to calm him down. I reassured him of my love and we were fine.
When he apologized, it was so precious and so shocking. He remembered his tantrum from earlier and he was genuinely sorry about it. Oh Lord, thank You for working in that sweet heart! And thank You for showing me each day that I don't have to be too proud to apologize to my son whenever I do wrong. How else would he have learned to apologize?
9 years ago
3 comments:
Adrienne, I loved this story. It's so difficult not to loose your patience sometimes, especially with two when you feel a little ganged up on.
Every once in a while we need a little inspriation on how to handle those situaitons. We need to know that we're not in it alone. Thanks for sharing :)
Patience is a Godly virtue. The blessed both of you with that gift. I have four special grandsons and two grand daughters on the way. That's six more disciples for Christ.
Thank you Lord
The Big One
When all of you were little, the one thing that would melt my heart was when you said "Mama, I'm sorry". The hugs and kisses were especially nice too. A child's heart is so precious and should be protected always. Teaching that little one to know right from wrong and to be able to admit when they are wrong, is one of a parents greatest responsiblities. We are to lead them by example.
love..mother
Post a Comment