Monday, October 20, 2008

Cruising Down the Rhein

We've been having a great time with my dad here. Saturday, we took him to the Rhein River and did a riverboat cruise from Bacharach to Boppard. The weather was really beautiful, but it was cold. We enjoyed most of the scenery of the castles and vineyards from inside the boat because Jackson was too cold to stay outside. Here are some photos we took on the deck:




Jackson was happy to eat his granola while we enjoyed the views. This is actually a recent favorite of his and he's decided that he only wants to eat it out of a cup. It makes for a great travel snack!


I should mention that Jackson is wearing a bib in all of our photos because he's got a saliva faucet! Two+ teeth are coming in and the flow just won't stop. He soaks his shirts and it's really cold outside, so we have to keep a bib on him. I feel so sorry for him. The poor kid is almost two and he's toddling around with a bib on. I have seriously never met another child who drools like this one. In this department, he should have been my sister's kid! (I love you, Melissa!!)

This little boy is enamored with his daddy. Everything is about daddy right now. It's precious. Here's Jace and Jackson inside the riverboat.


The Rhein River at Boppard:



Waiting on the train to take us to St. Goar:

While trying to buy train tickets, the ticket machine stole my 20 euro bill! I hope I get the credit they promised me. Jackson had fun walking with Jason and watching the trains pass while we waited for ours.

This was a great opportunity to eat the sandwiches we had packed.

My dad's first European train ride...caught with a mouthful. I thought it was his first train ride ever, but he told me that he'd been on a train in the 6th grade. He remembered the ride because he was in love with a girl who sat next to him and she brushed his leg!


In St. Goar, we of course stopped at Stefan's Wine Paradise. Jackson got plenty of rounds of children's wine just like last time.

Here's Dad and Stefan after tasting ice wine and then brandies in every flavor imaginable - peach, blackberry, cherry, black currant, plum, raspberry, strawberry, mint chocolate, and magic cream (like Bailey's).


Me and my dad with Rheinfels Castle in the background:

In Bacharach:


Is he a giant, or are their garages just really small?

A photo we took of ourselves...not an easy task with our heavy camera but it was fun:

My dad did a lot of walking on Saturday. I'm so proud of him and eager to see the fruit of his hard work after being here for four weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dad looks like he was having fun with stefan...i still think the peach brandy is the best!

mer

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great. Honey you look right at home with stefan. I know that tasting all of the wine and brandy was great. I am so glad that you are getting to experience this. I miss you. Its a good thing you aren't here though, because the house is a mess. I cleaned out the closet under the stairs and found things that I did not even know we still had. I am taking some to mother's on Saturday and the rest is exiting stage left by the back door. I love you bunches...Your B

Anonymous said...

from ryan -

dad, the FILA sweater is the best thing about the pictures...i bet that thing is 15 years old. I thought i was going to see you in a Gibeaux shirt next. :) it is time for a new one.

Meredith said...

Oh...I wish I could come visit yall! It just sounds incredible, and you've done so good at getting out and about and getting the most out of where you live. I love reading your blog and seeing what new adventures you've been on.