We were going to be surrounded by beautiful scenery and lots of fun photo opportunities, so I decided that we should try to take our Christmas card picture there. I only had one problem: we didn't have matching clothes. I started surfing the web for coordinating outfits that I could go and buy. The only color I found quickly and easily was black/charcoal/heather gray. Neither Jason or I had packed black shoes and I was not going to buy new shoes, so we decided to forget the picture idea.
When everyone was eating dinner that night, I told them that I'd decided not to do the photo. That wasn't music to the ladies ears who were all excited about taking a Madrid/Exum group photo. (We had talked earlier in the day about coordinating everyone's outfits for a fun group picture.) It was after 7 when we were discussing this, which, in my opinion, left no time for changing my mind. After all, the mall closes at 9. Apparently, I'd forgotten the company I was keeping! (The Madrids are always up for anything.) Michelle assured me that we could make it to the mall and find something to wear for all four of us. I was extremely doubtful. Did she not remember how picky I am with clothes? Add to that my post-partum figure and the outlook was very grave.
Michelle, Danielle, Tricia, Allison and I piled into the car and headed to the mall as if we were participants on the Amazing Race. By the time we got there, we only had 30 minutes to find something, but the good news was that I already knew what I wanted from my internet browsing earlier. We sped through the mall to the location of BabyGap, only to find that there was no BabyGap. I was ready to give up, but Michelle was not. We ran to Dillards to find something for the kids. There was nothing for Allison except forty shades of pink, so we decided that everyone would wear black or gray and Allison would wear pink. Now, we just had to find something for me and Jason. As we looked for Jason, nothing jumped out at me. I had a defeated attitude. I knew I could find something at the Gap, but there was no time...only 10 minutes to walk down to the Gap, find something, pay, and walk back to Dillards. I got a burst of energy and ran to the Gap. Tricia joined me, thank goodness, because I always need a second opinion. I found a shirt for Jason in no time and grabbed a few for me. I found one that worked and we ran back to Dillards watching the salesperson hold the door open for us. I couldn't believe we'd done it!
The next morning, we made two stops before making our way to Santa's Workshop. First, we stopped at Panera Bread for breakfast. Then, we stopped at Babies R Us to buy the Graco Snap 'n Go stroller. (I didn't have a stroller with me on our trip because ours is so bulky. The Snap 'n Go is the way to go because it's light and small.) As Danielle and I were deciding between the Graco and Baby Trend brands, Steve, Zach and Tricia came zooming in with smiles on their faces. "Allison just exploded in her diaper and it is all over her clothes." I thought they were kidding, but they weren't. Allison saved her first blow-out for our picture day! The outfit I had stressed over (because I really wanted the coordinating black and gray dress from BabyGap) was not even going to make one photo.
While Jason and Michelle cleaned her up, the rest of us zoomed around trying to find something for her to wear. Believe it or not, it wasn't easy and I was again ready to give up on the photo idea, but the Madrid ladies came to the rescue while I nursed Allison.
By the time we finished at Babies R Us, it was around 1130. I had said that I wanted to be at Santa's Workshop at 1000. Ha! That certainly wasn't going to happen, but that is one thing that is so great about the Madrids - they didn't care that we were late. We were having fun and making memories. Every person should have friends as flexible and understanding as them.
We got to Santa's Workshop, which is at the base of Pike's Peak, at 1215. We found a place to take some group photos before we started riding rides and enjoying the fun. The photos didn't turn out as I had hoped (not for our Christmas card) because we were all ready to get on with the day, but here are a few:



See what I mean? Everyone was thrilled to be taking photos:

We really did try to make it fun:

The gals:

The Madrids (Danielle, Michelle, Steve, Tricia and Zach):

After a great effort at group photos, we went to the boys' store. It was full of boy toys plus a candy shop.




Jackson with his "reindeer snack":


Santa's House was just up the hill from the boys' store. He was at lunch while we were taking our photos and Jackson really wanted to see him, so we headed to his house next. Jackson wanted to look at him and see inside of his house, but he didn't want to sit in his lap. He was very interested in all of the toys that sat on shelves along the walls. After a lot of gentle encouraging, he sat in Santa's lap:


When we walked out the door, Jackson said that he wanted to see Santa again. We told him that we'd come back once Allison was awake and could also sit in his lap. Then, we hit the rides:



I think these two look so much alike, don't you?

Even the adults had fun:






Jason wasn't too thrilled about his choice of flying ship/bird/whatever it was:


But he redeemed himself on this ride:




Allison's first carousel ride:


Feeding reindeer:

But not too sure about it..."Will it bite me?" He often asks this question about any new animal he comes across. We aren't sure why. He's never been biten. Perhaps it's from The Cat in the Hat when he assures Sally and her brother that Things 1 and 2 won't bite them.

Jackson, so far, has not been the kid who is super interested in animals. He loves pets, but when we're out, he's much more interested in other things. He could care less about feeding animals or riding ponies. He wants to know where the cars are! He did get more comfortable and fed the reindeer with Michelle:

More rides:





I was seriously holding onto Danielle because my butt kept flying up off of the seat!

I love babies in white:


One more time with Santa:


His last ride! I couldn't believe he went on this one:


I was ready to go again the next day. I can't wait until next time. This place is a must for families. It was so much fun and it wasn't expensive. Doesn't it look great?!

Mom and Dad, I hope you liked all of the pictures and enjoyed reminiscing our vacation. I think Ronald was about the same age as Jackson, wasn't he?
4 comments:
That looks like such a fun place! I was laughing about your clothing fiasco. I had a similar one when we were trying to get a final family photo in Florida (say that 10 times)
Anyway, you all looked great and more than that, you made memories!
Oh what wonderful memories. All of you loved Santa's workshop and Ronald had just turned 3 before the vacation. That was also the year of Pikes Peak and Meredith's famous saying, "No way, not me babe!" about going all the way to the top. We had such a great trip.
Let's do it again. All of us, and of course the Madrids. The Santa pics are great. What a great Santa Claus...love mother
I miss The Springs so much. Unless Carson gets fixed wing planes we'll never get to live there again, but visiting is great! You guys looked like you had an amazing time, there are so many fun things to do there!!!
I have to agree that Allison looks like Jason! But she's one pretty gal. . . love her smiles!
Post a Comment