Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkin Prayer


I have wonderful childhood memories of pumpkin carving. And probably my favorite part of carving a pumpkin was eating the roasted pumpkin seeds that my mom made. They were delicious! Because of all of the transition that our family has been through the past several years, we haven't carved a pumpkin since 2007! We always intended to do it, but time always got away from us. While my mom was here visiting after Elizabeth was born, she went to a pumpkin patch with the kids and came back with a beautiful pumpkin. We were all so excited to carve it. I stumbled across a pumpkin prayer bookmark and thought that it would be a great opportunity to talk about Christ as we carved our pumpkin. So after church (and great naps for the three girls), Jason headed up our 2011 pumpkin carving.

The kids were excited about the carving tools:


And here is the information we got off of the pumpkin prayer bookmark:

Dear Jesus, as I carve my pumpkin, help me pray this prayer:

Open my mind so I can learn about You;
(Cut the top of the pumpkin)

"Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are His..." Psalm 100:3

Take away all my sin and forgive me for the wrong things I do.
(Clean out the inside)
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

Once Jackson embraced it (he doesn't like getting his hands dirty) this part was one of the most fun!







Open my eyes so Your love I will see
(Cut the eyes out in heart shapes)

"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law." Psalm 119:18

Drawing the face was the only part I helped with...besides keeping the baby happy, taking pictures, making hot chocolate, and cleaning up a little :-))

Jackson did a fantastic job making the cut-out for the heart-shaped eyes.


I'm so sorry for turning up my nose to all You've given me.
(Cut a nose in the shape of a cross)
"Create in me a clean heart, O God..." Psalm 51:10

Open my ears so your word I will hear.
(Cut the ears shaped like the Bible)
"Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life." Isaiah 55:3

Open my mouth so I can tell others You're near

(Cut the mouth in the shape of a fish)

"I shall...declare the works of the Lord." Psalm 118:17

Let Your light shine in all I say and do! Amen.
(Place a candle inside and light it)
"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

Ask God to fill you up so that He can shine brightly through you. Share your faith with your friends and neighbors as you tell them about your special pumpkin.



Photobucket

1 comment:

The Zkiabs said...

love this idea! you are so inspirational to me...happy halloween!