Thursday, February 16, 2012

Proud Swimmer

Isn't it so fun when you watch your child do something, succeed at it, and then really enjoy it because they are so excited they are mastering something?! That's what Jackson is experiencing right now. He loves swimming. I remember this time last year. He was not as fond of his first swim lessons, but he looks forward to these lessons every day. There are only two other boys in his class, so he gets lots of attention, and he loves his coach and does everything she asks with a smile on his face. Monday, they had open swim after their lessons, so the three of us swam a little before I picked up Lizzie from the childcare place. Once I got her, the three of us girls watched Jackson enjoy the last thirty minutes of open swim. He was so excited to show me everything he can do.

He is thrilled that he can swim under the water. He isn't going far, but it's wonderful to see him...

going under...

holding his breath or blowing bubbles and swimming slightly forward...

and then coming back up.

He's also learning how to float and kick while floating on his back.

Jumping in is, of course, a favorite!


One time he jumped in and got a little further out than what he's used to. He couldn't touch the bottom and he began to panic. I was holding Elizabeth, so jumping in after him was not a quick option. I'm so glad that I was holding her so that I could coach him what to do. I told him to hold his head back so that his mouth would be up out of the water. Once he got a breath or two, he realized that he was okay. I told him to move toward the wall and grab on, which he did without a problem. As a parent, I didn't like seeing him scared, but I was so thankful for the opportunity for him to use what he's learned to get himself out of a situation that he initially felt unable to conquer. Now, he'll know what to do next time.

They swam so hard that day. We were there for three hours and they were jumping in and swimming almost the entire time (only about 2 hours for Allison). We left and grabbed lunch on our way to the hospital to have Elizabeth's blood drawn for her genetic testing. As soon as they finished eating, they both passed out in the back of the van.

Swimming, it does a body good!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Beeker said...

AMEN!!! Way to go Jackson!!! I'm so proud of him. TJ had a similar success with our swimming yesterday. I was proud of him...I wasn't so sure with the rate he had been going at, but all of a sudden, they just get it. : )