Friday, July 4, 2008

Cape Gooseberries

Yesterday, Jackson and I went to the grocery store and I saw this carton of fruit that I've never seen before. Since the name ended in 'berry' and I have a berry enthusiast at my house, I thought it'd be a good idea to try them. Plus, they weren't expensive.

When we got home, I didn't unload all of the produce and left some of the bags on the floor while I was juicing and cleaning the kitchen. I turned my back to wash a saucepan and Jackson started digging in the bags. He likes to help me take things out before I put them away. When I turned around, I saw him sitting on the floor and pulling off the papery pods of the gooseberry. My initial reaction was to tell him no, but then I thought, "What's the big deal? Let him explore."

I was able to talk him into letting me rinse each berry before eating it. He would have eaten the entire carton if I would have let him. They are really good and perfect for desserts or jams. They have a lot of flavor - sweet and tart. And they are a lot of fun for toddlers because they get to pull things apart. You should buy some!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not know that gooseberries were so large. Are they sweet or tart? Isn't it great having a child that loves to investigate everything..........just like his mother. Oh how I remember and I am sure Peggy can agree with me concerning his father. Have fun!!