Ronald and Meredith had been attending Metropolitan Baptist Church's youth group during the spring of my freshman year of college and then into the summer. I had seen a major change in their lives, which I now know was the grace of God working in them. The Lord had also been working in me throughout my freshman year. I knew my life was not what it was supposed to be, but my mind and heart still had not comprehended my utter depravity and deep need for the Savior.
Jason was one of the youth group's summer interns, so Ronald had spent a good amount of time with him. He was convinced that if Jason and I ever met, we would get married. He asked me if I remembered Jason from high school. I could picture him and remembered that he played soccer. Melissa graduated with him and said she remembered him as, "the guy who always carried his Bible around." (I'd say that's a good way to be remembered!)
Several times, Ronald told me that I should go to church with him and Meredith. I didn't think it was right for me to go to church just to meet a guy. At that point in my life, I was not interested in being attached. At the prompting of my amazing college roommate and lifelong friend (Natalie), I had just read Lady in Waiting and really wanted to learn to be content with Christ alone. If I went to church, I wanted it to be for God and God alone.
July rolled around and I finally decided that I would go with them to one of their Wednesday night youth gatherings. I will never forget that night for the rest of my life. I was nervous getting out of the car. I knew that Jason was going to be there. Even though I'd told myself that I was going because of the change I'd seen in Mer and Ronald, there was a part of me that was really curious and interested in meeting Jason.
We walked into the building and I saw him. He was wearing a white t-shirt, khaki shorts, tennis shoes and crew socks. He looked good! I was wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and a sky blue shirt, which I still have! I can't let it go since it was the shirt I was wearing when we first met. Isn't that silly?!
After the service was over, Ronald and Meredith introduced us. Jace looked me straight in the eyes and told me that it was very nice to meet me. This is really embarrassing, but I could barely get words out. I was seriously captivated by his eyes, the sound of his voice, and his curly smile. We had a very short conversation, thanks to my nerves, over generalities (college - Baylor and UT, summer plans) and then we left. When I walked out that door, I was convinced that he was the guy I wanted to marry. I felt completely ridiculous even having that thought since I didn't even know him; nevertheless, that thought stayed with me (after MUCH prayer) until 21 December 1997 when he finally asked me to go with him and a group of people to grab pizza after church.
The 5 months in between were a gift from the Lord (a huge time of growth for me)...as have been the past 10 1/2 years. When I walked into the MFLC that night, I had no idea how life-changing it would be. Lord, thank You for choosing such an incredibly patient, loving, and merciful partner for me. And thank You, thank You, that even though I loved him first, he came after me all on his own. Jace, I'm glad you finally came to your senses!!
Here are some photos of our dating days. These pictures were taken before our digital camera days so the photos had to be scanned. I don't have time to adjust the color/contrast/etc. so the quality isn't that great. Enjoy...and have a nice laugh!
These first two pictures are from New Year's Eve 1997. We went out with Beau and Alli for our first double date. (We hadn't been out solo yet.) Beau and Alli started dating at the same time as we did. We absolutely cherish their friendship - dating days together, weddings, first babies, and looking forward to so much more!

Wall of Water at the Galleria area in Houston - I think every Houston couple goes here at least once:








3 comments:
I love this story! I think EVERYONE knew you two were perfect for each other! I love you both, thanks for sharing this memory!
I remember the first time you came to the MET. Meredith was SO excited you were coming and she was convinced that you and Jason were perfect for each other-I remember her talking for weeks about wanting to get y'all together!
The thing that will always pop in my mind when I think about y'all as a couple is how Jason looked at you when he said his vows. At that time, I had never seen a man look so tenderly and lovingly at his bride. It was an honor to witness a real life picture of how Christ loves us.
I also had the privilege of knowing you separately before you were together-you were always so kind to me on drill team and you and your family welcomed anyone and everyone with open arms. Jason was an incredible intern who loved us all unconditionally and showed us girls about the kind of guy we should be looking for in a mate.
I also remember having lunch with you, Jason, Beau and Lisa Pittman the following summer. We all met at Jason's and you had fixed lunch for us. I remember you and Jason trying to out serve each other-that is, you each wanted to show your love through acts of service so much that both of you had a hard time making it to the table to eat!
What a treasure your little boy has in parents like you!
As your mother, boy could I add to this story. We all knew that it was meant to be. The electricity that passed between you two was powerful.......love you both, mom
Post a Comment