Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thank you, Sheri

Our church here in Germany started home-based Bible study groups last fall. Everyone is doing the same study, but we split into groups that meet in our homes. It was a huge blessing to Jason and me b/c we were able to meet people quickly after arriving here.

We finished our first book, which covered half the book of Acts, at the end of January. My friend Sheri, whose husband led our group, gave me a Bible study book by Elizabeth George. It's part of her series, A Woman After God's Own Heart, and this particular study is on the book of James. I cannot express how the Lord has used the book in my life.

Since Jackson was born, and with all of the transition we faced in his first year, I haven't been very consistent with being in God's Word. I desperately wanted to, but just hadn't found a routine that worked for us. On Super Bowl Sunday, I read the introduction to this James study. The foreword was written by a woman who had been looking for a study that she could do everyday but wouldn't require hours of time in order to have any substance. I related with this woman and the Lord gave me a desire to start the study.

I have been amazed at how perfectly applicable each day's study has been to my current life situation or to my deepest desires. Speaking of deepest desires, my heart and mind spend a lot of time thinking about training my child in the ways of Jesus Christ. How do I model the love of Christ to my child every day? How do I teach him to respond to others and to situations that don't go his way, which happens so often?

Today, the Lord put before me some verses, which pierced my heart:

Matthew 5:43-47 says, "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you loves those who love you, what reward have you?...And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others?"

Luke 6:35 says, "But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil."

Who am I to ever show partiality when the Lord showed no partiality in saving my soul? When the 3 year old rushes over and pushes Jackson to the ground, rather than telling him to push her back or to walk away and ignore her, I want to encourage him to offer a toy and pray for her. When someone misunderstands my personality or my intentions, I don't want to pity myself or have choice words with him/her in my heart. I want to pray for the person and try to offer a blessing. When I invest in a friendship or offer my time and resources to another and receive nothing in return, rather than giving up and vowing to not help again, I hope to continue to make the investment, bless others, and give of myself...considering them more important than me.

Showing no partiality, in my actions, mind and heart, is a deep desire of mine...for myself and for my family. With the truth the Lord is showing me, I hope to internalize it so that it will be the overflow of my heart. I do not want to be a hearer only but a doer of His Word.

A picture of me and my friend Sheri taken in December at a women's Christmas dinner:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've considered getting that study and now I definitely will, because I'm in the same boat - young children and not enough "quiet time." I did take Amanda's (from the LPM Blog) advice about doing bible study during breakfast. It has worked out for me and I'm using the Women's Devotional Bible (new edition). I thought it would be a good, simple way to get back into the Word and I was surprised that the devos actually have some depth to them. When I finish this, I will have to start A Woman After God's Own Heart. I'm glad you share that. Thanks!