Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Our New Pets

We live in a very rural part of Germany. I love it not only because it is so beautiful, but because I feel that this Texas city girl has a lot to learn out here in this agricultural world. The majority of our house is surrounded by fields currently covered with wildflowers. (Why did I not live here when I had to do my high school wildflower project? I would have been set in my own backyard!) In the summer, the farmers in my village bring in cows to graze the fields. Last week, we got a few cows that aren't even 25 yards from our house! (And for those of you who are cow ignorant like me, no, they don't smell at all!) There are three milk cows, two babies, and one toddler cow (not a baby but not a man). When Jackson and I went over to see them, the two babies still has their umbilical cords attached!! I think they were two days old. Here's a photo of one of the babies. If you look really close, you might be able to see it!

Last Friday, Jackson and I were on our way home. I took a different street to get to our house so that Jackson could see the other cows that just came in. In the grass, by the side of the road and just outside of the fence, there was a brand new, seriously just born, calf! I was so worried as to how it got down there. It looked like it might have rolled down and under the fence once it was born. There was a lady standing out there, and I figured these were her cows and she'd know just what to do.

We went home and I put Jackson down for his nap. Once he woke up, we walked back over to check on the newborn calf. It was back in the field! A couple of minutes later, our neighbor came by on his huge tractor, which Jackson loves. He took the calf from the field, but it in this little tray-like thing that was at the front his tractor, and took it to the field next to our backyard. Now, I know that I know nothing about cows, but I hated watching him pick it up by its legs and carry it to the tractor. I just wanted to scoop it up and hold it like a baby. The poor calf pooped all over my neighbor's pants, the road, and the tray thing on the tractor. Then, my neighbor, Ervin, put tags in its ears. What trauma for a newborn! I know this is normal and less painful than branding (according to my mom), but I still hurt for it. (I keep calling the calf "it" because I'm not sure if it's a boy or a girl. I didn't look.)

I was really troubled as to why he was moving the calf. Since I don't speak German and he doesn't speak English, it was very hard for me to ask. I was able to understand that the calf's mother was not in the field I found it in nor in my field. It appears that its mother is in a third field. So why isn't it with its mother?!?!

I kept watching that sweet thing all afternoon. It was nursing from one of the cows in my field. I felt so terrible that it had been taken from its mother. I was hoping that my neighbor would come out so that I could ask if we could go pet it.

On Sunday, I looked for the calf in the field, but it's not there anymore. I don't know where it's gone. I told Jason that it probably died because it was distraught over being lost from its mother! I know this sounds ridiculous. After all, these are just cows. But I'm telling you it is so different when they are in your backyard like your pet. Here's a shot of the cows:

Do you know how badly I want to bathe this poor mama:

Jackson and I look at the cows every day. I think he's making the sign for cow, but it's hard to tell if he's signing cow or horse (thinking the horse sign applies to both). He does try to say, "Mooooo!" It's so cute.

We talk about animals a lot because there are so many around here. He hasn't said any of their names, but he does make the sounds of a cow, cat and dog. Cat sounds the best, but dog is the funniest. Whenever he sees a dog, he says, "Woof, woof!" but it sounds more like he's blowing air. It's hilarious! I love all of the exposure he's getting to the animals on a daily basis. It's so much better than only seeing them in pictures. He gets 3D pictures and gets to hear the real thing! Thank you, Jesus! What a blessing!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I love the cows. Liam calls all animals by the sound they make, Moos, Baas, Roars, etc. Except for horses. They're horses. And dogs. All dogs are Leos (our dog's name).

Did Ryan kill a coyote? I'm disturbed.

What's the news on the move?

Anonymous said...

Ask your neighbor if these cattle are the Gelbvieh's. It is a very popular breed in Germany. Let me know. A great education for Jackson to be able to see all of this. You Too. love mother