Monday, June 2, 2008

Germany, Ireland and Paris with Tammy

It's taken me a while to get this entry posted. Not only are there so many pictures, which take forever to download with my snail's pace connection speed, but it's taken me a week to recuperate from the extreme lack of sleep! On the 21st, a friend from college came to visit us in Germany. Tammy and I graduated together with degrees in Science Education. She is currently a 10th grade biology teacher near Tulsa. We were thrilled to have her and planned a crazy itinerary to pack in as much as possible in the 8 days she was here.

Since Tammy's birthday was on the 25th and we'd be in Ireland, we celebrated the day she arrived here with a German cake. I asked them to put a "small" shamrock on the cake. Turns out they put a huge shamrock made of fondant right in the middle...something none of us cared for.


On day 2, Tammy, Jackson and I went to Bacharach to catch a river cruise on the Rhine. We were on the boat for about an hour (all the time we had) and then got off at St. Goar to catch the train back to our car in Bacharach. Jason and I did this same cruise (although a longer version of it because we started further down river) 4 years ago with my brother and sister and two very dear families, the Madrids and Engwalls. The Engwalls lived in Germany at the time and had discovered a wonderful winery. They took us to Stefan's Wine Paradise for wine and brandy tasting. I loved it so much that I had to take Tammy there. The peach brandy is unbelievable and Stefan is someone you don't want to miss meeting.
Bacharach:

The riverboat had a play area for kids...thank you!

Stefan's Wine Paradise in St. Goar:

Stefan makes children's wine so the kids don't feel left out when their parents are sampling. I think he gave Jackson 3 glassfuls! He also gave me a complimentary bottle and wine glass for Jackson!

Enjoying the train ride...unbelted:

Once we got back in Bacharach, we hit the road to my house to grab our luggage and drive to the Brussels airport to catch our flight to Dublin. For several reasons (needing gas, having to get a pass for Tammy to get on base, gashing my knee with the suitcase, a huge traffic jam), we were running late. When we got to the terminal, Jason decided that he would take care of the luggage and I would go park the car. We were in such a hurry, that we didn't see the HUGE sign that said the terminal had moved! I was driving around looking for the parking lot that I've parked in before but could not find it. Finally, I went back to the terminal to ask someone where the parking lot had moved to (can a huge parking lot just move like that!) and found Jace, Tammy and Jackson standing outside with a bunch of luggage. Oh my word! We threw everyone and everything in the car and I drove like a maniac to the new terminal. We made it to check-in and with time to spare. Thank you, Lord!

Little did I know at the time, that this little terminal-seeking escapade would set the tone for the rest of our trip. We arrived in Dublin, picked up our rental car, and headed to our bed and breakfast. By the time we arrived, it was 9 at night (10 on our German clock). I went inside to get the key since Jackson was sleeping in the car. It turns out that the innkeeper double-booked and had no room for us! She started calling her B&B friends, but everyone was booked because Bruce Springsteen was in town! She finally found us a place, but only for one night. We had to find a place for the next night. By the time we found the new B&B and got something to eat, it was after 11. Exhausted, we went sleep, knowing that tomorrow we'd have to spend a good chunk of time looking for an affordable place to stay the next night.

Dublin was a lot of fun. We shopped, did a Hop-on Hop-off bus tour of the city, toured a few sights, shopped some more, and then found a lovely B&B to spend the night. Our hosts, Jimmy and Mary, were nicer than nice and their home was beautiful. We thanked God so much for the blessing of such a nice place to stay on last minute notice...and they were the first people I called!
Right-hand drive! Jason was awesome. He drove the entire trip!

Alan, the B&B host who rescued us our first night in Dublin:

Walking the streets of Dublin:

Bus tour:

Silly little pickle:

Christ Church Cathedral:

Dublin Castle:

Day 4 we toured Kilmainham Gaol (pronounced jail). Well, Jace and Tammy did while I entertained the screamanator. Then we drove across Ireland to Killarney and took a very quick drive through the national park. We were supposed to be there all day, but with the B&B overbooking ordeal, we decided to spend the morning in Dublin, which took more time than we thought and put us in Killarney pretty late in the afternoon. After a short hike in the park, we grabbed dinner and headed to Tralee where we were staying for the night.
Kilmainham Gaol:

Killarney National Park:




Picking up rocks and then throwing them in the water...so fun!

Look what I have!



Day 5 we left our B&B in Tralee and took a scenic drive of the Dingle Peninsula. We stopped in Dingle for lunch, took the Slea Head Drive, and then drove through Conor Pass on our way to Tarbert where we caught the ferry to Kilimer. This was Jackson's first ride on a ferry. We hurried our way to the Cliffs of Moher to watch the sunset and then refueled at our B&B with sandwiches made by our lovely host. I should mention here that the people in Ireland are fantastic. They are so nice about everything. Every one of our hosts were amazing. They were so hospitable, more than willing to help, and so kind. I was really impressed.
Dingle Peninsula:


Tammy and I had fun digging for treasures...rocks and seashells.



His new thing is driving...he loves it!


Slea Head Drive on the Dingle Peninsula:




On Conor Pass:

Ferry Ride:


Cliffs of Moher:




Day 6 was just a travel day. We drove back across Ireland to catch our plane to Brussels and then drove back to Germany. All four of us were exhausted after our insane trek across Ireland in only 4 days. Honestly, I was embarrassed whenever our hosts would ask what we were doing while in the country. I just knew they were going to look at me and think I was absolutely crazy. Well, I am crazy, but it was one amazing adventure!

On Day 7, Tammy, Jackson and I got some extra rest in the morning, then drove to Trier for sightseeing and shopping. (Jason had to work.) We then made a 4-hour drive to Paris. Day 8 was a Paris sightseeing day. Tammy toured the Louvre while Jackson and I climbed stairs, shopped, and practiced going up and down escalators - anything to keep him busy, entertained, and out of the stroller. Tammy really wanted to see the Catacombs, so we went down 130 steps, walked 1.8 km, and climbed 83 steps to see the bones of Parisians. (I did this while carrying a stroller and a child. I won't lie, it wasn't easy, but I was proud of myself for making it up that winding staircase while holding both in my arms.) We then made our way to the Eiffel Tower where apparently every other tourist was. It took us 3 1/2 hours to wait in line and reach the top of the tower. It really ate up a bunch of our time, but who can go to Paris without seeing the Eiffel Tower?? We hurried over to Notre Dam because I really wanted Tammy to see it before we left the city for our drive back to Germany. Did I mention that I am insane!?! (Oh, I've been to Paris once before. In fact, I think it was exactly 4 years ago to the day.)

In front of the Louvre:

In the Catacombs:

The bones...a little creepy:

The Eiffel Tower:


We took turns taking pictures here. Then, Jackson walked over to the fence and stood there waiting for me to take his picture. It was hilarious!

Notre Dam:

On one of the few metro rides when I didn't take him out of his stroller. Everyone else holds the bar, why shouldn't he?!

Day 9 was Tammy's travel day back to the States. We had to leave my house at 4:30 in the morning to make the drive to Frankfurt. We were both exhausted, but jamming to music kept us going...along with a cappuccino for me and some little snack crackers. I was so thankful that Jason was able to stay home with Jackson until I could get home. The thought of putting him in the car again was too painful for me. Jackson and I enjoyed a long nap together that afternoon and so began my first step to catching up on my sleep.

Thanks for enduring the long post and all of the photos! I'm sorry I'm not more entertaining like many other bloggers out there. Nevertheless, it's been fun!

4 comments:

stephanie said...

you're making me envious again with all your amazing travels!!!

great pics! thanks for sharing it all with us so we can enjoy it too.

Anonymous said...

You & Jason are such great hosts! It makes me regret taking my vacation elsewhere this year!! Can't wait to have you guys home in September!!

Anonymous said...

just think of the show and tell that jackson will have when he starts school. whether is home school or public............

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, tammy. i know that you enjoyed your trip....benita