Friday, September 19, 2008

The Details...

So here are the promised details of our travel changes...

We obviously canceled the first Friday flight for me and Jackson because of Hurricane Ike. There was no sense in us flying there to participate in the hurricane and it's a good thing we didn't because our flight was canceled. Jackson and I would have boarded our flight in Luxembourg but then never boarded the flight from Amsterdam to Houston. We would have been stuck there either until Jason drove up to get us or until we got a later flight to Houston.

I switched our tickets to Tuesday, but when no one in our families had power Monday morning, Jason thought we should continue to stay here and wait to go later in the week. We figured things would be looking a lot better by Thursday or Friday. I didn't want to wait until Friday because I didn't want Jackson getting there on the day of the rehearsal dinner, so I asked the airline if they would switch our tickets to Thursday and also bump Jason's up one day so that we could all fly together. They were willing to do it without any additional fees, which was awesome, so we thought we'd for sure be in Houston on Thursday afternoon.

Wednesday afternoon, our bags were completely packed and ready to be loaded into the car. Then, I got a phone call from my sister-in-law saying that the wedding had to be postponed because too many of the people involved in making the wedding happen (cake lady, reception hall) did not have power. My poor sister-in-law! I can't even imagine. So I immediately called the airline, explained the situation, and they were willing to give us a credit for the full amount of our ticket price. Our tickets were use or lose, so I felt this was a gift from the Lord.

So why did we choose to stay and not come to Houston anyway?? Well, for starters, if Jessica decides to have her wedding in late October or November, there is no way for us to be there because we can't spend the money or the extra vacation time to fly to Houston again, especially when we'll be back for good in early December. Also, by not coming to Houston, we'll be able to move back three weeks sooner, which will put us in the States around 15 November. We also found out that we can book our airline tickets for the move back to the States and the Air Force will reimburse us up to the amount they would have had to pay to move us back. It is hard for me to justify coming to the States for a vacation when we'll be back for good in less than two months and we can save ourselves $1500.

So that's the scoop and I am totally okay with it. I never dreamed that this would happen again. If you read my blog back in March/April, then you know I was supposed to go to the States then and never got there. It's a little unbelievable, but I trust in God's sovereignty and can't complain. If anything, I'm really learning, "If the Lord wills, then I will...!" I am sad about not seeing my family and friends, but we'll be there soon! I am so ready to see everyone. You won't believe how much Jackson has changed! We'll be ready to celebrate his 2nd birthday on 29 November, which is a Saturday this year and two days after Thanksgiving. Yay!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, here we go again. I am a patient mother, but this wait will be the worst. I miss all of you so much and I am really jealous of the fact that your father will be seeing you in a few weeks, but I am so thankful that he will get to have this experience and have all of you to himself for an entire month. God's timing is sometimes really hard to understand, but I know that He knows what is the very best for all of us. We have to just be still and listen.

I have been praying for Jessica & Justin, because I know that this has been the very hardest on them.

November will not come soon enough and we are going to have a birthday for Jackson that "we" will all remember. This one will be for the family because he will not remember it. I love you and I am really counting the days until you come home.........Mother

The DeVore's said...

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you to come home. I can only imagine how hard it must be to be so far away from family. At least when you come next time it will be for good! I would love to get togther and catch up on the past 8 years since we last saw each other after you get settled. By the way Jackson and Greyson's bday are a day apart...G's is on the 28th! Happy packing.

Erica said...

Wow! Brea's b-day is Nov. 30! I am so sorry it didn't work out, but it will be so worth it when you get there. I know you sister-in-law must be so sad!
By the way, please pray for Brian tomorrow at 3. He has an interview...Lord, make your YES or NO very clear!