Friday, January 15, 2010

Nighttime Negotiations

After our dinner guests left, we put Jackson to sleep in our bed. At bedtime, one of us always lies down with him for five minutes before leaving the room. Tonight, we both got in bed with him. After about 5-10 minutes, I got up and went into the kitchen to load the dishwasher. Jason lay in bed with him a little longer. This is the conversation that quickly followed:

Jackson: "Are you going to go spend time with Mommy?"

Jason: "Well, I need to go talk to Mommy about it."

Jackson: "Just talk to Mommy while you lay down."

Jason: "Well, she's in the kitchen. I need to go in there and talk to her."

Jackson: "No, just wait until Mommy comes here and lay down and talk about whether you're going to spend time."

Jason: "No, I need to go in there and help her in the kitchen and talk to her."

Jackson: "Well, just go spend time with Mommy for just one minute. Just one minute. That's all I can stand."

Jason: "Well buddy, it's gonna be longer than one minute."

Jackson: "No, just one minute. That's all I can stand."

Jason: "I'm gonna go out now."

Jackson: "Well, I'm not gonna close my eyes."

Jason: "Okay buddy, you don't have to close your eyes, but you need to lay down."

Jackson: "I don't want to lay down."

Jason: "Okay, you don't have to lay down, but you have to stay in bed."

Jackson: "Okay."

Two minutes later...

He's sound asleep and we're spending time together!

1 comment:

legendswife said...

Isn't it amazing. Some of the things my children say and do at bedtime and me baffled. Sometimes I don't know if I should just bust out laughing, or just let them play out what they've been thinking. Have a blessed night:)