Friday, January 15, 2010

Stuffed Yumminess

Last night, I made another soul-satisfying meal. I'm sharing it on here because I know that sometimes we all need inspiration in the kitchen and it's nice when someone else has made the dish and knows it turns out well.

Yesterday was one of "those" days. Both kids had snotty noses. Allison pooped all over my sheets. Jackson bit Allison on the stomach. The kids didn't nap at the same time. I was exhausted. I was feeling emotional about some things. Jason had to work late. And so the story goes. But through it all, I just kept telling myself that I'm going to miss these days once they are gone. (Mer, I told you that your email came at just the right time. I love you!)

I wanted something warm and soothing to the soul. It's a good thing this was on my list of things to cook this week. I modified the recipe a bit. It was fantastic and loved by adults and child. So here's to stuffed acorn squash using the ingredients on the recipe with a few modifications:
  • 1 loaf of homemade whole wheat bread
  • 2/3-1 cup ground sausage (it happened to be turkey)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2-1 cup freshly shredded white cheddar cheese

(photo from Williams Sonoma)
I'm eating a leftover squash as I type and it's just as good today as it was last night. I didn't make anything else to go with it because I didn't have time. This was enough for me though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy...makes me want to cook.

I am sorry that you had a hard day, but as you said, they will be grown soon, so enjoy each thing about them and you can rest later. I speak from experience, resting is not all it is cracked up to be. I would rather have all the mess and little ones running around the house......love you

Exum Family said...

Mom, I couldn't agree more. I don't know what's gotten into me...perhaps it's hormones (smile)...but I am feeling like holding onto every minute of my day with them right now. It's weird. It's like they keep flashing before me as adults and I think, "That time is just around the corner." I want to enjoy each moment with them right now. Before too long, they won't want to be around Mommy all the time. They won't want me to hold them constantly. I'm gonna miss it!

Book Worm said...

Oh deliciousness! I love acorn squash! I am going to have to try that. So....you have days like that too?! Applause to you momma. Another explosive poopy?! ;)