Just in the past two weeks, Allison has finally started eating food!! What?! I am sure you are thinking, "Isn't she almost 18 months?" Yes! She has just been very slow to accept table food. She's been eating a bite or two or three at each meal for months, but that's it. We've always offered her everything. Sometimes she's taken it and sometimes she hasn't. A lot of times she just chewed things FOREVER and then she'd spit them out. So what has she been surviving on? Breastmilk! Yes, I still nurse her and she loves it. Her lack of eating never bothered me until around 14 or 15 months. Then I began to wonder if I had done something wrong. All of the questions started going through my head, "Did we introduce food too late? Have I made her think that breastmilk is the only thing that can fill her tummy? Have I made her too dependent on me? Etc." All ridiculous questions, really. Because my husband is FABULOUS, he attacked my fears with truth and set me straight. I continued to nurse her and offered food as always. We had a suspicion that her teeth had something to do with it because teething has been horrible to her.
Whatever it was, it stopped because two weeks ago she looked at the spaghetti I made (Jackson's request for dinner and a rarity around here), demanded her own bowl and own spoon and went to town! After each of her spoonfuls made it into her mouth, we'd clap and say, "Yay!!!" She was so proud of herself that she clapped and exclaimed, "Yay!!!" too. Then, she'd say sign "more" and say, "Mmmm. Mmmm." (with a little rising intonation on the end of each mmmmm, which is what "more" sounds like coming from her. Maybe I should have been making spaghetti all along!
Ever since Grammie sent the jewelry and jewelry box for Allison, we've been having a little fun with accessories. I got out some of my jewelry from my dad's mom and let the kids play with it. Jackson thought it was great. He said, "I wish I was a girl so that I could wear pretty things." I assured him that guys have pretty things too, they just look a little different.
4 comments:
Yeah Allison....eating food. Tell mommy that she needs to fix spag more often.
Praise you Jason for setting Adrienne straight. Allison is so healthy and has done wonderful on just breast milk. God's most precious gift to us mother's, the ability to feed our children and have them thrive and grow strong without having to prepare a meal. What more could you ask for.
Jackson, you remind me of your Uncle Ronald. Your mommy and your aunts loved to dress Uncle Ronald up like a girl. He didn't mind it either. Nothing wrong for a man to wear a little "bling". A man's bling just looks a little different than a woman's.
Love you guys, Grammie.
I love those pics of little Ali.I'm glad she started eating people food and I knew Jason would help you. I think one of his spiritual gifts is encouragement. He has always been good at that.
Jackson, you are going to have some fun with these pics when you grow up and get married. It will be so funny, just like your Uncle Ronald being dressed up by his sisters. You guessed it, your mother dressed him like a girl and he sang "Love Shack" Y'all have fun.
Love,
Pqw Paw
Another thing, I just realized how much Jackson looks like his Uncle Ronald at that age. Hair and all. We watched home movies this weekend and it really showed the resemblance between Jackson & Ronald.
We LOVE spaghetti around this house! We have it about once a week!
Post a Comment