Saturday was Jason's dad's birthday. He would have been 60 years old. We both wish that Jackson and Allison could know him. He would have been an amazing Papa. With tear-filled eyes, Jason and I talked about all of the things he would have done with our kids - how he would have interacted with them and loved them, things he would have taught them, activities he would have done with them, and the energy he would have had for them. Honestly, it is too painful to think about, so most times, I don't think about it. I imagine Jason pictured his future differently because in his imagination, his dad was a part of our life with children. How difficult it must be for him, for his mom {I'm sure she saw grand-parenting very differently...with him by her side to share it with}, and for me, thinking about these days without him being a part of the lives of our children.
Each year, when his birthday comes, I always want to find a way to honor him. I want our children to have knowledge of him and things about him. This year, we chose to bake a birthday cake. We made a homemade strawberry cake with whipped cream icing and TONS of sprinkles.
When Jason and Jackson woke from a nap, we sang "Happy Birthday" to him.
We put an orange slice on top because that is a candy that reminds Jason of his dad.
I have to say that as I was making the cake, the Lord brought these thoughts to my mind. His dad's birthday is right before Easter when we celebrate the risen Lord. Because he was a believer, he is risen with Christ. Hallelujah!! Even though Jason's dad died, he lives! I think it is just amazing to talk about what happened on Easter morning and then to tie it to the fact that because Christ died for us, though we may die, WE WILL LIVE! As we celebrate his birthday each year just before Easter, I hope that his death makes the death and resurrection of Christ more real/meaningful/tangible {I'm struggling to find the right word} to my children. I know he would love to know that we are honoring him in this way by relating his relationship with Christ to Christ's death and resurrection.



1 comment:
Buddy Exum was a wonderful man. He loved his family and would have loved being a grandfather. Dad & I had some fun times with Buddy and because of him and Peggy, we have Jason as a son. He left all of us with many wonderful memories to share with his grandchildren. Buddy is truly missed by all that loved and knew him. Happy Birthday, Buddy. I know that you are celebrating in Heaven and walking beside Jesus.
Post a Comment