Friday, August 6, 2010

Allison's 1st Birthday Party

We got to Alabama almost two weeks ago after spending a week in Houston with family. Internet was just hooked up yesterday so I have a lot of catching up to do. I am so happy to be blogging again. I have so many fun stories to tell and photos to share...plus lots of feelings that I would love to document about the joys and struggles of this move...but I'll start with the celebration of our very special little girl.

Allison turned one August 1st. Since we were going to be in Alabama on her birthday, we decided to have a party with our families in Houston on July 24th. We miss our families so much and wanted to celebrate this milestone with them. This was the invitation that I made for her party. I took the pool photos at my friend's house in Edmond. It was so much fun!


Since it is so hot, Alli loves water, and there are six cousins in my family, we thought a pool party would be a lot of fun. We had the party at my parent's house and it was special for me because I celebrated my first birthday at the same house! We grilled burgers, hot dogs and corn-on-the-cob and served salad and chips alongside. For dessert, we made ice cream sundaes rather than having birthday cake. Ice cream sounds so good in the heat of July/August, don't you think?! I made vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, cheesecake, and cake batter flavored ice creams. I also made a dairy-free version...coconut ice cream...for a very sweet little lady who can't have cow's milk. We had hot fudge, caramel, and whipped cream and lots of different toppings - raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, cookie dough, M&M's, sprinkles, and cherries for the top. It was a busy, tasty, and fun day! Now, for lots and lots of photos:-)

I love this photo of Jason's family!!! From left to right: Ryan (the oldest), Jason, Megan (the baby!), James (Megan's boyfriend), and Jessica:

Allison's first birthday present...from her Uncle Ryan:

Big Ron! My dad loves the heat, the sun and the pool. That pool was the best investment he ever made!

This is another great photo with Jason's siblings. Check out the birthday hat Allison is wearing. My sister, Meredith, made it. Isn't it awesome?! I love it! I gave her an old birthday hat that I had and she decorated it for me. The hat was from Jackson's third birthday. I didn't realize how large it was. Alli looks like she's wearing a dunce hat!! LOL!! I love it!

Our family!

Things aren't always picture perfect:

Allison, let me introduce you to real grass. Thick blades and lots of 'em! Welcome to Houston, Texas, sweetheart!

Madalyn and Allison, 3.5 months apart, and melting the hearts of the Metting family!

One of Jason's bosses won an Easter basket in 2009. She didn't need it, so she gave it to Jason. This pool was inside of it. It's been sitting in the top of Jackson's closet for the past year. Whenever we were separating our stuff for storage and for moving, I found it and thought it'd be great for her party. It turned out to be a huge blessing. The boys loved it...but my parent's grass took a beating!

Put your sun glasses on! Could this be one of the reasons that Jason won the "White Boy" award at church camp? And do you think my dad loves the sun?!

We forgot that Allison had a diaper on. Look at that booty!

The polymer inside diapers can hold about 30-50 times its weight in water. No kidding! We should have weighed that diaper.


Daddy and his birthday girl:

Jackson and Dawson:

Grandma! I think Allison looks just like Jason's mom.

The grill masters! Ronald, thank you so much for grilling all the meat and corn for us. We really appreciate you! Ryan, I know you gave him a lot of moral support. Thanks!! :)

While we were all eating, someone noticed Landon in the pool with his hot dog...bun and all! Someone rescued the bun before the picture was taken.

After dinner, the kids went to the front and took turns beating the pinata. Grace made the boys look bad. She was great with the bat!

Jackson:

Colin:

Lane Walker...this is Beau and Allison's baby boy. Beau and Allison are our dearest friends. Grace is 10 weeks older than Jackson and Lane is 6 weeks older than our Alli. Isn't he the most adorable thing you've ever seen! That baby put down one hamburger and two hot dogs!!

Dawson:

Lindsay and Lindsey, this is the grass that I'm used to!!





Dawson tried so hard but he couldn't seem to break that pinata. Melissa took the bat and in one swift hit...so fast that my camera missed it...she busted it open!

That's my brother-in-law, Jonathan! He's awesome!!

Cone Head!

Beautiful and sweet-hearted Grace:

This was Allison's cake. I made her a homemade strawberry cake with whipped cream. It is supposed to be an above-ground pool. I got the idea online. I used Kit-Kats for the border, bubble gum for the beach ball and one of those peach candy rings for the float. I found the girl at HEB {one of the greatest grocery stores ever!} and she happened to be wearing the colors of Alli's party - hot pink, orange and lime green. I had the plate custom-made from a lady online. She made Jackson's 1st birthday plate too. I hope to make it a tradition that they eat their birthday cake off of their plates every year of their lives...at least that is my plan! :-)) The cake was so fun to make and so EASY!

"Happy Birthday dear Allison..."

Jackson had been asking if he could blow out her candle after she tried to do it herself. This was the moment he'd been waiting for:

And now, for the cake!


She grabbed the ball, licked a little whipped cream off...

and then the ball went straight into her mouth!

She took out her own candle...

...and gave it a little taste test.


I love this picture. She is grabbing a Kit-Kat and looking at me as if to say, "Are you watching? I know you don't want me to have this, so just keep looking me in the eye and you'll never notice what my hands are doing."

Once she got a taste and feel of the Kit-Kat, she didn't want anything else. Go figure!

Checking out her mess:



My photographer and hat maker! Meredith, I love you! Thank you!! You are my lifeline!!

Grace and Jackson:

Aunt Jessica! I was so happy to have her there!

My happy birthday girl!


Time for presents! We had presents right after ice cream sundaes. What were we thinking?! Our children were wired!! Allison was blessed with so much and we are so grateful.

A ride-on horse from Grandma!


My Puppy Pal Violet from Madalyn!

What a sweet Aunt Jessica!

Grace is explaining Fancy Nancy to Allison:

Grandma and Allison...I think they look alike. What about you? And look at those cute dresses from Grandma!


Grammie and PaPa are keeping her cool!

Clothes and her first purse from Grammie and PaPa! Mom and Dad, thank you so much for all of your help! Through your example, you have taught us all how to help and serve others. I am so grateful for you!

A dress from Grace!

Uncle Ryan, Aunt Meredith and Madalyn {with her Puppy Pal Violet}!

Uncle Jonathan and Aunt Melissa! This woman slaved for me! She is amazing. She can do so many things and so quickly, which must be why the Lord has blessed her with four boys. And Jonathan! He is a huge help...such a behind-the-scenes servant...and so calming to be around. They gave Allison the Fancy Nancy book. Melissa is totally posh. That's a fancy word for fancy!

There are no words to describe our love for these two...

I owe a huge THANK YOU to my family for helping me pull things together for this party. Every person was so willing and eager to help and I definitely needed it! Moving, being away from my own home, trying to visit family, and taking care of my children while preparing for a party was more than I thought it was going to be. I love you guys and am grateful for the family God chose for me. You are seriously {with all of the honesty that is in my heart} the greatest!!!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Benita said...

Happy Birthday my sweet Allison. Grammie loves you very much. What a fun day we had at your party. It went by way too fast and now you are so far away. Grammie and PaPa are coming to see you right after the first of the year. I can't wait.........