Monday, August 23, 2010

Unpacking

We arrived in Montgomery on the 26th of July and our stuff was delivered on the 27th. Monday night was fun with all four of us sleeping on air mattresses in our new living room. The kids loved playing and rolling around on our portable beds and it was nice to enjoy our tiny empty house before it filled with TOO MUCH stuff.

After the movers left, it was my goal to completely unpack and set-up the kids' room. Of course, things took me away from their bedroom...like when I had to search for a box that was put somewhere else...but when I returned, I found my 3-year-old busy at work. He told me that he was unpacking his toys. I loved that he wanted to jump in and help. I loved it even more that he felt like he could do things all on his own that were a big benefit to the family.


Allison was interested in unpacking too. That girl loves to unpack - boxes, bookshelves, toy baskets, you name it. She's still "unpacking" to this day!

And what's one great thing about moving?! Boxes make great toys and hiding places and houses and places for sleeping!!! Jackson did take a nap in a box {all his idea}.

And, of course, you have to play with stuff as you unpack it, especially when you haven't seen this stuff in 12 days.




And when you move and have to change things around, it appears that sometimes you may not know where your underwear is...since at the last house it was on a shelf in the closet and in the new house it's in a drawer. Or maybe ironing in the buck is a new thing. Who knows!


Jason and I laughed hysterically whenever we walked in to that. Jackson loves doing things that we do - cleaning, ironing, driving, cooking, etc. {And for the record, we don't iron naked!} He likes being independent...except when it comes to walking. He still LOVES being held!

I'm still unpacking. Those last few boxes filled with things that can't find a place are so annoying. I need organization help. I need shelves and drawers. I need IKEA or The Container Store or something like it. My brain will rest much better once everything has a place.

We're doing good though. Life is getting back to normal and we are enjoying what this new area has to offer! Our house is hysterical. It has so many quirks that I used to hate but now find amusing:
  • It takes 15-20 minutes to fill the bath
  • The toilet takes forever to fill with water, so you can't flush just before showering or bathing or brushing your teeth.
  • I have to open the dishwasher in order to have room to open the oven.
  • I can load clothes in the washer and saute on the stove at the same time!
Photobucket

2 comments:

The Sauer Family said...

Lord Bless! I almost woke Madalyn up laughing so loud at sweet Jackson! HI-larious!

Benita said...

If that is not a cute behind..at least he will stay cool while he irons...the best!

Boxes everywhere, but what fun to play in. It's amazing how something so inexpensive is what they love best to play with.