{And just in case this picture sounds too rosy, allow me to add details that portray the days of our lives with total honesty. I did not have the best attitude. Our house was not totally put together...and it still isn't. I can't tell you how unsettled I feel when things are hanging around the house without a place and we're navigating our way around the last few boxes. We didn't decide to go to the beach until 4 o'clock in the afternoon. I had to go to the grocery store to get food for our trip because we were traveling on a budget that couldn't afford to pay $5 for a sweet tea. Our children were tired and in desperate need of some undivided attention. Jason had to find the safest and best life jacket, so he drove to two different Targets...one in Montgomery and one in Prattville...and he also tried to find a baby gate for the top of our stairs. I had one load of laundry to do before I could pack and somewhere in there I needed to cook dinner. I could not help but thinking, "Why are we punishing ourselves like this? Is this trip really going to be worth it?"}
After a late night, our departure time was delayed a couple of hours, but we still managed to get out the door a few minutes after 8. About twenty minutes from the beach, I had a breakdown after a conversation with a Target employee who said she wouldn't put her children in the water. {Yes, we had to go to Target again because we neglected to get a life jacket for Allison. And if you really want to get a laugh at our expense, she didn't end up wearing it!} I was beside myself with worry. We drove all this way and paid money for a hotel room to not get into the water?!?! It was way to hot to just enjoy the sand. I could have built a great sandbox in the backyard with the money we paid for a hotel room and gas. We could have gone to a super cool water park somewhere near our home and paid half of what we were paying to go to the beach. Are you kidding me?!?! Am I going to put my children in toxic water and put them at risk for some terrible health problem when they are in their 30's?!?!? My heavens, the list of things running through my mind went on and on. And do you think I kept those thoughts to myself? Oh no! Poor Jackson was in the backseat asking, "Mommy, are you going to let me get into the water?!" I was terrible! I kept telling Jason, "I don't watch the news. I know I should, but I don't. I never turn on the TV and I only get on the internet to pay bills, check email, buy something, and update my blog. I'm trusting you to keep us safe." Wasn't I terrible?! {And please don't judge me. My life has been crazy, busy, and full of change. I seriously have more to do than I have time for (as most of us do), but I'm doing my best. Watching the news just isn't something I've made time for.} And it got worse the closer we got to the beach. I didn't know if that lady knew what she was talking about. Was there something that I wasn't aware of. Jason heard that the water at Pensacola was great, but was it truly safe? And then to fuel the fire, a lady at the front desk of our hotel said the same thing. Jason decided to call our friend who is a VP at Chesapeake in OKC. We figured he would know a lot more than the Target employee or hotel clerk. I think he laughed when Jason asked him the question. He told us that it was totally fine to get into the water. I was happy...I LOVE the water...but still a little apprehensive and so embarrassed and ashamed of my behavior. I was embarrassed and ashamed while I was acting that way but I could not snap out of it. I needed Jesus big time. And it turns out...although I'm not trying to excuse myself of all of my behavior...that two days later I had the return of my menses for the first time since before I conceived Allison. I forgot how it can affect my emotions. Wow!
We got to our hotel, unloaded, ate sandwiches, lathered everyone in sunblock and hit the beach. It was great!!
Here are the kids ready to go...although Alli is not a fan of hats unless the sun is present at the moment she is wearing it:
And to think that I almost stole his joy:
We brought a big storage tub full of trucks, pails and shovels. They loved it!
A man at work:
We couldn't keep Jackson out of the water. He loved it! And Jason had a great time swimming and searching for shells and hermit crabs. Saturday was the anniversary of his dad's homecoming to heaven. Jason was born in Florida and his dad grew up there. The beach always makes him think of his dad...especially the Florida beach.
Sand was everywhere! I forgot that it gets in and on everything!
The kids tired out pretty quickly. We went back to our hotel, had snacks, and then Jason and Jackson swam in the pool while Allison and I drove around town checking things out and searching for a baked treat to put a candle in for her birthday. Believe it or not, it wasn't easy finding something. I was tired, she was tired, and I was ready to be back with the boys.
Sunday morning, we all slept in until 8!! The kids haven't done that since we started packing our things in Oklahoma. They've been waking up at 6:30, so 8:00 was a much-needed treat for all of us. Jackson woke up first and immediately asked for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which was very odd because he rarely eats them...and never for breakfast. He must have been dreaming about one!
I wanted one photo of Allison sleeping on her birthday morning. I didn't want to use the flash but couldn't figure out how to reduce the blur. Isn't that precious?
Jackson woke her up pretty quickly. Good morning, birthday girl!
He was excited to play with her:
We all ate breakfast, put on our beach attire, and then packed the car in a hurry. We wanted to be on the beach and singing to Alli at 10:31, the time of her birth.
Do you want to know what I found for her birthday dessert? Homemade banana pudding! It was DELICIOUS!! It was the best I have ever had. I got it from a little hot dog deli that sells every kind of hot dog imaginable and they make it right there in the store. It was perfect.
Getting ready to sing:
Singing to our Birthday Girl!! We couldn't light the candle because it's too windy on the beach:
Happy Allison...she is our joy and almost always happy:
Her first taste...and she loved it. Banana pudding turned out to be the perfect birthday treat.
I wanted Jason in the pictures so we switched and he let her go to town:
I love this picture. They are both looking over at Jackson.
I got pudding for Jackson too.
He loved it!
When we got on the beach, Allison was fussy and not wanting me to put her down. I was trying to help Jason get everything ready and the only thing that would calm her down was to hold a Kashi bar. I didn't realize she held onto it for so long:
I guess the pudding finally won her favor and she dropped the Kashi bar:
Self-feeding is so fun!
Painting yourself with your birthday dessert is also so fun!
Getting rinsed in the ocean with Daddy is even better!
We had a fantastic time at the beach. It was worth it! We spent most of our beach time on Sunday in the water. Around 1 o'clock, we headed to the showers, packed the car and headed home. Allison fell asleep for about twenty minutes. Jackson resisted a nap for forever but finally gave in:
Miss 1 Year Old never would sleep again. We couldn't believe it. She was so happy though:
When we got home, we put together her birthday present. Jackson had been waiting all week to help put "Allison's pink car" together:
Allison LOVED all the tools. I know she wanted to take every single one out of the toolbox and scatter them across the room. She loves taking all things out and throwing them everywhere. It's loads of fun when Mommy is trying so hard to find a place for everything in our new home.
Since we wouldn't let Jackson have the first ride on the car, he was very excited to be the first to push Allison. Alli loves this car. Whenever we go to Toys R Us, she always rides in the store's display and never wants to get out of it.
Jackson couldn't wait to have his turn:
I've been getting lots of cuddle time with my kids lately. I love it!!!! This picture reminds me of one taken on Alli's birth day:
I LOVE these precious children!
Allison Michele, we had the best time celebrating you! I can't imagine our lives without you and I can't believe you are my big one-year-old!







































3 comments:
WOW! Hard to believe it has been a year already!! Happy Birthday sweet girl!! May you always know how treasured you by the best parents ever!
Glad you all had such a nice time at the beach!!! Happy Birthday Allison. I can't believe how much she looks like Jackson : ) No worries about the news...we don't watch the news either!!
What a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday. These are great pictures. Of course the subjects are excellent.
Adrienne, I know you were tired, cranky and stressed, but this will be a weekend that you will never forget. There is nothing more important than down time with your family. Letting go and enjoying each other is more important than getting things organized. I wish I had not let things get in the way and taken more time to enjoy all of you while you were litte. Time goes by too fast and then those chances are gone....love you Mother
Post a Comment